Placeholder canvas
Law Offices of David M. Lederman: Family Law Dispute Resolution Experts

Your Family Law Dispute Resolution Experts

Interstate Or International Child Custody

Does your child’s other parent live in a different state or country — or plan to move there? Conversely, do you need to move for business or personal reason — and expect to take your child with you?

In a separation or divorce case, arriving at a reasonable parenting plan can be problematic when parents live in different state or countries. Interstate child custody disputes and international child custody cases present some unique challenges. To address a sensitive family situation straddling two states or spanning two countries, work with a qualified, experienced and trusted family law attorney. The Law Offices of David M. Lederman is prepared to represent you with your parental rights and your child’s best interests front and center.

A Law Firm With Abundant Knowledge And Experience Relevant To Your Child Custody Case Involving Two States or Two Countries

Our family law firm has represented many clients in family law cases involving interstate and international jurisdiction issues. We understand the domestic and international laws that govern how and where these disputes are settled. We will work to protect your rights and achieve your goals in your child custody case.

Prevent child custody complications and disputes when you or the other parent plans to move out of state or out of the country. Call 925-522-8889 or inquire here to arrange for a consultation at our Moraga or Antioch offices.

In An Interstate Child Custody Dispute, Your Child’s Home State Has Priority

In the past, California and every other state had its own laws concerning interstate child custody cases. Parents would often try to relocate a child to another state in an effort to find a more favorable venue.

Since then, each state has adopted the provisions of the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act (UCCJA) as its own law, subject to minor variations. This limits jurisdiction to the child’s home state and other states having a significant connection to the child. Subsequent model legislation, the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA), gave priority to the child’s home state.

The Law Offices of David M. Lederman conducts an active practice in cases involving interstate child custody disputes. We know how to use the law in the protection of our clients’ interests, and we will energetically work to achieve your child custody goals. If your spouse has moved with your child to another state and a divorce is now underway — or if you wish to explore your options for claiming your parental rights in this situation — talk to a knowledgeable family law attorney without delay.

We Can Help With Interstate Child Support Enforcement

Perhaps you are the parent with the child, still in California, and the other parent has moved out of state. What are your options for getting needed child support from that father or mother? Collecting child support over state lines used to be difficult. With the enactment of the provisions of the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA) in the various states, recipients of child support have a new tool to help obtain child support.

Our firm can interpret the law as it applies to your family situation. Let us explain how we help California parents enforce child support orders for payers in other states — and how we can help you.

Handling International Child Custody Disputes

Is your child’s other parent planning to go abroad — or is he or she already overseas? Might he or she or has he or she already taken the child to that country? What are your legal options for recovering your son or daughter? The Law Offices of David M. Lederman has represented a number of parents in international custody disputes involving children residing in nations that have joined the Hague Convention. These can be lengthy and potentially expensive actions, but success is possible. We are prepared to work hard to protect your rights and zealously pursue your child custody goals.

Get the Answers and Help You Need in Your Interstate or International Child Custody and Support Case — Contact a Lawyer

We would like to hear your story and let you know what we can do to help you recover custody, collect child support or simply understand your legal standing when you and the other parent will reside or already reside in different states or countries. For a consultation with the Law Offices of David M. Lederman, call 925-522-8889 or send us an email.